Saturday, October 3, 2009

Drowning the Shamrock....a Bloody the Brocach Way


Date: 1 October 2009
Place: Brocach
http://www.brocach.com/home.html

Don't let my freckles fool you, I have no Irish ancestry. So the promise of a Guinness wasn't the reason we meet up with friends for happy hour at Brocach. The weather is dreary, dark, cold and rainy, the perfect backdrop to an evening at this Irish Pub located on the Capitol Square.

By reputation we are trying Brocach's Bloody Mary.

"It gets extra credit for the glass," says J, as our friendly bar maid sets the drinks before us. Served in a hefty Guinness glass, the drink looked pretty enough with its wedges of lemon and lime, and a skewer of stuffed olive, pickled onion and mushroom. Its claim to fame? A 'dab' of Guinness added to a "Jack and Bernies thick and spicy mix," according to the bar menu.

The first sip was lacking - but a vigorous stir with the straw helped. I think I can taste the stout, but only if I'm really concentrating. And because I'm not a beer fan, its addition to the mix doesn't sway me. As I finish my drink, I'm left wondering; would I have rated it higher had it been accompanied by a Saturday egg brunch?

So while the Brocach bloody passes muster, I switch to a shiraz when the waitress returns for our second round.


Spice/Sauce 3.5
Strength 3
Appeal 3.25
Price $7 for 16 oz.

2 comments:

Danner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danner said...

The BestBloodyMary.com folks agree:

http://www.bestbloodymary.com/singleLocation.php?locationID=50